This bread also freezes well if you want to save one loaf for later, just wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil. For a non-vegan version, see my recipe for Zucchini Bread.
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Bread and Loaf Pans | Parchment Paper | Mixing Bowls | Flour Sifters | Wire Whisks | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer | Timestick
TheBakingPan Recommends: The BEST instant read thermometer I’ve used for cooking and baking; the ThermoWorks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is incredibly fast, accurate, and well worth the investment. I use my Thermapen Thermometer for checking room temperature ingredients, tempering chocolate, baking bread, making pastry creams, sugar syrup, caramel, and candy, cooking meats and fish, and deep frying. Thermapen Thermometer available here.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds Tip: use whole flax seeds if you prefer additional crunch and texture in your bread
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 cups firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce Tip: I use sweetened applesauce, or use unsweetened if you prefer
- ½ cup water, warm or room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium-sized zucchinis)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oil, applesauce, water, and vanilla; whisk together until well blended. Add grated zucchini and nuts; stir until mixed. Add flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Bake: Pour batter into the loaf pans, dividing the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Turn the breads out of the pans onto a wire cooling rack, or grab the top edges of the parchment paper and lift bread from loaf pans and place on a wire cooling rack to finish cooling. Remove parchment paper and discard.