I made this cake for our daughter’s birthday and actually forgot to take a photo. So after we had already cut a few pieces I snapped a quick photo with my phone.
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Angel Food Cake Pans | Mixing Bowls | Flour Sifters | Wire Whisks | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Kitchen Knives | Food Processors | Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer | Timestick
- See recipe for Angel Food Cake
- See recipe for Lemon Cream
- Angel Food Cake: Bake Angel Food Cake. Cool completely.
- Lemon Cream: Prepare Lemon Cream. Lemon Cream can be used when cooled to room temperature to fill the cake. If made ahead and refrigerated, stir the cream to loosen, then use to fill the cake.
- Assembly: When cake is completely cooled, use a serrated knife and cut off the top 1 inch of the cake. Set aside. Cut around the hole in the center of the cake leaving a 1 inch thickness of cake around the hole. Then cut around the outer edge of the cake leaving a 1 inch wall of cake. Using a spoon carefully remove the center of the cake leaving a 1 inch thick base. Place the hollowed out cake on a cake plate or serving plate.
- Spoon the filling into the hollowed out section, then replace the top of the cake.
- Cover cake and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serving: Before serving dust top of cake with powdered sugar. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or fresh berries.