This recipe makes about 2 cups of Toffee Sauce. Toffee sauce can be made ahead of time before serving and refrigerated. Before serving bring to room temperature or reheat sauce on the stovetop over low heat or briefly in the microwave.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a medium-sized heavy bottom pan, combine butter, brown sugar, cream, and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, set aside to cool until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.