I completed this quilt August 2018, and gave it to our friends, the Wilhelm family. Except for the quilt back, I was able to make the whole quilt from my fabric stash, choosing the brightest primary color fabrics I had. This quilt has a riot of colors and reminds me of boxes of crayons.
I discovered similar quilts on Pinterest and thought it would be fun to make, but first I wanted to layout the design on paper to determine how many squares of each size I would need. I did the diagram below on Excel, kind of rough but it worked for my purposes.
I then determined the fabric cuts needed for each size and went to work. Here’s a few of the squares as they were being made.
I started laying out the squares in one room…
but quickly discovered I needed to move to a larger area for the layout. Here is the quilt before the squares are sewn together.
Searching for the right fabric for the quilt back, I found this beautiful blue fabric at the Craft Warehouse.
Here is the completed quilt back.
I machine-stitched the quilt label.