Cinnamon Orange Glazed Pecans
Sweet and just slightly salty, these pecans can be addictive with their cinnamon and orange flavored coating.
Recipe type: Dessert | Candied Nuts
Pan: Large Rimmed Baking Sheet Pan Prep: Foil Lined Oven Temp: 300° Yield: 2 Cups Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
- ½ cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (about ½ orange)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 2 cups pecans halves
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, orange zest, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add water, vanilla extract, and orange extract. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add the pecan halves to the egg whites; stir by hand with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the pecans are coated with egg white. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the pecans, stirring until all the pecans are coated.
- Spread pecans in an even layer on the baking sheet, separating the pecans as much as possible.
- Bake: Bake for 30 minutes. While baking, the mixture appears to puff up and bake together in a mass. Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. When cool, peel the pecans away from the foil and break the pecan pieces apart.
Adapted From: Taste of the South Magazine, Christmas Cooking Southern Style, 2007