EEEK Spiders! Add a few Gumdrop Spiders to your Halloween party, they’re completely edible, and look so cute on top of cookies or cake. I used a few Gumdrop Spiders to crawl around Chocolate Spiderweb Cupcakes.
Recipe type: Dessert | Candy
Yield: Several Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
- Large Gumdrops
- Thin Black Licorice
- Jelly Belly candies for the eyes (or use any candy such as Red Cinnamon Candies)
- Black Decorating Gel (to ‘glue’ the eyes)
- Use a wooden skewer, or toothpick to poke holes around the bottom edge of each gumdrop. These spiders have 3 legs on each side, however since real spiders have 8 legs you can also have 4 legs on each side. Tip: Black gumdrops make perfect Halloween spiders, but use any color you like. I added in a few orange and red.
- Cut licorice legs about 1½ inches long. Push the ends of the licorice into the holes. Tip: Licorice wheels are perfect for the legs. I used Haribo Licorice Wheels. Carefully unroll the licorice wheel and cut pieces about 1½ inches long, and then carefully pull apart the 2 halves.
- Use one Jelly Belly for each spider to make the eyes. Cut each Jelly Belly in half with a small knife. Tip: I found that ½ of a Jelly Belly is a little too big for the eyes. Instead, I cut the ends off each Jelly Belly and discarded (or ate) the middle.
- Squeeze 2 drops of black decorating gel where the eyes will be, and press the end of a Jelly Belly candy onto the gel. Tip: in place of decorating gel you can also melt a small amount of chocolate to use for the ‘glue.’