Rich, chewy, and Chocolaty, with a white coating of powdered sugar, these are the very best. When they bake, the tops crack open revealing the dark chocolate under the sugar coating.
Recipe type: Dessert | Shaped Cookies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or, 8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, semi-coarsely chopped
- ½ cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and butter, stir constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until melted so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until mixed. Add walnuts, stir to mix.
- Cover dough and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Roll the balls in powdered sugar until completely coated.
- Bake: Place balls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or just until cookies are set. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.