Rich, chewy, and Chocolaty, with a white coating of powdered sugar, these are the very best. When they bake, the tops crack open revealing the dark chocolate under the sugar coating.
Recipe type: Dessert | Shaped Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or, 8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped into small pieces
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten to break up
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, semi-coarsely chopped, optional
- About ½ cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour baking powder and salt. Sift or whisk to mix. Set aside.
- In a medium-size heavy-bottom pan over low heat, combine chocolate and butter, stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add brown sugar, use a wooden spoon to beat until thoroughly mixed. Then add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour mixture; stir until well mixed. Add nuts if using, stir to mix.
- Cover dough and refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- Roll the balls in powdered sugar until completely coated.
- Bake: Place balls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or just until cookie edges are set. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Republish 10-6-18 to update recipe instructions