Hazelnut Orange Biscotti
These flavorful and crunchy cookies are a version of Paul Hollywood’s recipe from the Great British Baking Show. Each slice is brimming with hazelnuts, and along with orange flavor from orange zest, these cookies are wonderful.
Recipe type: Dessert | Cookies | Biscotti | Dairy-Free Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups hazelnuts (filberts), skinned, and coarsely chopped
- zest of 1 large orange (about 2 tablespoons) Tip: do not include any of the bitter white pith in the zest.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; line with parchment paper or non-stick baking mats. Tip: These cookies can be mixed by hand or with an electric mixer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Flour, sugar, and baking powder; whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the eggs to the flour mixture; stir just until mixed. Add hazelnuts and orange zest; stir until mixed.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into two logs, each 10 to 14 inches long.
- First Bake: Bake for 25 minutes or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven; leave cookies on the baking sheets, place on a wire cooling rack to cool slightly.
- While still warm, cut each log diagonally into ¾ inch slices. Tip: My favorite tool to cut biscotti cookies is a stainless steel dough scraper; simply push the dough scraper straight down into the cookie for straight cuts. Or use a pizza cutter or kitchen knife to slice the cookies.
- Second Bake: Lay slices flat on the baking sheet, return to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and continue to bake an additional 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn a light brown. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on wire cooling racks to cool.
Recipe adapted from The Great British Baking Show