Rocky Road Brownies
Love Rocky Road? Then these bars should satisfy that craving. Just top the finished brownie with a classic Rocky Road mix of marshmallows, chocolate, and nuts.
Recipe type: Dessert | Chocolate
- 1¼ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 9x9x2 inch square pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine marshmallows, chocolate chips, and walnuts; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat until well blended. Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until well mixed.
- Bake: Spread batter in pan. Bake 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chip mixture over the top of the baked brownie. Continue baking another 5 minutes or until the marshmallows have softened and puffed slightly, and are very lightly browned. Leave brownie in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool. Cut into 2 inch squares.
Tip: My favorite tool to cut bar cookies is a stainless steel dough scraper; simply push the dough scraper straight down into the cookie for straight cuts. Or use a pizza cutter or small kitchen knife to cut the cookie into bars.