Whipped Key Lime Pie
Key limes provide a bright and refreshing flavor, not too sweet, and simple to make. This classic pie is lightened with a whipped cream filling, then chilled and garnished with spirals of key lime.
Recipe type: Dessert | Cream Pie | Lime
Serves: 6 to 8
Pan: One 9" Pie Pastry: Graham Cracker Pastry Prep: Baked Oven Temp: 350° Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1½ cups Graham Cracker crumbs (about 11 full graham cracker sheets)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated key lime zest (about 2 key limes)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (about 15 to 20 Key Limes)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups whipping (heavy) cream
- ½ cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Graham Cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Stir until thoroughly mixed and mixture is crumbly.
- Pour the graham cracker crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. Using the back of a large spoon or the flat bottom of a measuring cup or drinking glass, press the crumb mixture firmly and evenly across the bottom and against the sides of the pie pan.
- Bake: Bake 10 minutes. The edges may be just slightly browned, but you do not want the edges or crust to over-brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine lime zest, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. Set aside.
- Place water in a small microwaveable bowl. Pour gelatin over the water, do not stir, and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes. Then heat in a microwave oven, on medium power, for 45 to 60 seconds or until the gelatin is dissolved and the liquid is clear. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar with an electric hand mixer until cream is thick and stiff. Set aside.
- Stir the cooled but still warm gelatin into the key lime mixture. Using a balloon type whisk or large rubber spatula, gently fold about ½ of the whipped cream into the key lime mixture.
- Pour the key lime filling into the baked and cooled graham cracker crust. Gently spread the remaining whipped cream over the top of the filling.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight until firm. Refrigerate leftovers. Before serving, garnish with key lime wedges or spirals.