This yummy sauce is the perfect accompaniment to warm Bread Pudding, Gingerbread, or any dessert that benefits from a kick of whiskey. This sauce is loaded with bourbon and is for the grown-ups only; it is definitely not kid-friendly!
Recipe type: Dessert Sauce
Equipment: Medium Heavy Pan Method: Stovetop Yield: 3 Cups Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup bourbon or other whiskey, divided
- 2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the whole milk, cornstarch, and ¼ cup of the bourbon; use a wire whisk to blend until the cornstarch is completely combined. Set aside.
- In a medium, at least 1-quart size non-reactive, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, add the whipping cream, cornstarch mixture, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the salt, butter, and remaining ½ cup of bourbon; stir to completely blend.
- This Whiskey Sauce is best served warm. Or, let cool to room temperature, stirring frequently while cooling. Refrigerate leftovers.
Adapted from: Food Network.com, Emeril Lagasse, New Orleans Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce